The After-School Program (ASP) at Penn Charter is committed to providing a safe and nurturing environment that meets the needs of our Lower School students and families during after-school hours. We also provide Full-Day Child Care for non-instructional days, including in-service days, parent conference days and some vacation days. Each program takes place within a child-centered environment and a structure that is both relaxing and enriching.
After an academically demanding day at school, the After-School Program (ASP) offers plenty of time for friends, fun and relaxation in an engaging environment designed to help children learn and grow. Photos.
During ASP, children learn to balance their leisure time. We do this by providing a structured environment with built-in opportunities for children to choose activities that will enhance their social, emotional, physical and intellectual growth. Children are encouraged to choose activities that will ensure that they will have a daily mix of fun, activity and interaction that's just right for their mind, body and spirit.
Daily activities include:
- Outdoor and indoor play
- Mixed-aged groupings
- Clubs for first, second and third grade students
- Organized sports and games
- Supervised homework time
- Thematic and seasonal arts and crafts
- Nutritious snacks provided two times a day
- Tutoring: Coordinates with Learning Support Team to offer ASP care before or after tutoring
- Swimming: Coordinates with the Penn Charter Aquatic Club (PCAC) for swimming lessons. Students are escorted to and from the pool by pool staff.
Contracts, Schedules and Rates
ASP is offered on regular school days from dismissal until 5:50 p.m. Parents may contract on a full-time or part-time basis for the academic year; bills are mailed on a trimester basis. Although this is a yearly contract, changes and cancelations may be made at the beginning of each trimester.
The ASP contract and the emergency contact form must be completed online. As shown in the table below, families may contract for 1.5 hours or 3 hours, and for one or more days of the week. ASP is available only to families that have committed to contracted hours: We are unable to accommodate children on a “drop-in” or emergency basis. Once enrolled, families may extend their hours for an additional fee but are not reimbursed for unused contracted days/hours.
To register, complete the online ASP contract and emergency contact form, then submit a $50 nonrefundable deposit per child to the Business Office. Contracts and deposits are due no later than Sep. 2, 2016.
|5 days||4 days||3 days||2 days||1 day||Pick-up time|
Note: Once enrolled, parents may extend their hours at a daily rate of $13.00 per hour. Students not picked up by 5:50 p.m. will be charged a late fee at the rate of $3 per minute.
Efficiencies and Advantages for ASP-enrolled families:
- Flexibility to contract for children to attend ASP while siblings attend Lower School Enrichment, Middle School sports or Upper School sports
- Extended care for students arriving after Lower School Enrichment or Penn Charter Aquatics Club
- Discount on extended care for fourth and fifth grade students who enroll in Lower School Enrichment program
- Coordination with Learning Support Team to offer ASP care before or after tutoring
- For students with Penn Charter bus contracts, late bus pickup at 5:20 p.m. at Lower School