Middle School Summer Math
For the summer assignments in mathematics, most of the students in grades 6 through 12 will be using a website named IXL. This website interacts with the students, tailoring problems to their strengths and needs. Teachers will be assigning summer work on those skills that are necessary for their students' success in their fall courses.
It is important to note that students should not start IXL assignments until after June 15, 2017, as the IXL accounts will be updated and work done prior to that date may get erased.
For each grade or class, roughly 15 topics will be assigned. Each student needs to work on each of these topics,until he or she earns a "SmartScore" of at least 80. With each problem a student works on, there will be a mastery level indicated, as in the screen shot below:
When a student answers a question correctly, he or she is congratulated. When a student answers incorrectly, however, instruction is provided, complete with a detailed explanation, and more similar problems are provided. The goal is a SmartScore of 80, but students are welcome to continue to work on the "challenge problems" if they choose.
The assigned topics are tailored to the skills needed for each specific class, but students can always access other topics as well, if they need additional practice and instruction or would simply like to learn and practice more.
Teachers will have access to their students' SmartScores, time spent on the website, and data about both individual students and their classes in general: information about what topics were easy or hard, and what topics need to be reinforced or can simply be glossed over because everyone knows that material.
Please click on the links below for the appropriate summer math assignment. Instructions for sign-in to IXL are included on these pages.
Grade 7: IXL assignment for incoming 7th graders
Grade 8: IXL assignment for incoming 8th graders
- Again, it is important to note that students should not start IXL assignments until after June 15, 2017, as the IXL accounts will be updated and work done prior to that date may get erased.
- Any student who has difficulty signing on to the IXL website can email Mrs. Menzie at email@example.com for help. (Please do not email your teacher.)
- Information about the IXL App to use on mobile devices (iPads, Android or Kindle Fire) can be found at https://www.ixl.com/apps. The username for the IXL App must be typed in with "@penncharter" following the username, not "@penncharter.com." Example: johnsmith@penncharter
- Students participating in the 2017-18 school-loaned laptop program will not have access to their school laptop until Monday, Aug. 14. If students wish to start their summer math work before this date and don't have access to a networked device, Room 110 in the Upper School will be available for computer use Monday through Friday, starting July 5, through August 14, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please check in with the tech staff in Room 109 first.
- Please contact Michael Moulton if the access options detailed above are not possible for your student.