The Writing Center is a comfortable, welcoming environment intended for all members of the school community. In particular, the Writing Center stands ready to assist students in grades 9-12 with writing assignments and college application essays. The Writing Center is staffed throughout the school day (and after school by appointment) by faculty and peer tutors who are committed to providing one-on-one support for students at any stage of the writing process. The Writing Center aims to help students develop analytical and grammatical skills by fostering a positive attitude toward writing and its important relationship to critical and creative thinking. It is located in the basement of the Upper School, across the hall from the health office.
The Writing Center supports students in:
- brainstorming, outlining, drafting and revising writing assignments for all subjects
- helping students assess their own writing and recognize and articulate areas for skill building
- reviewing and interpreting teacher feedback and forming a revision plan
- recommending follow-up tasks for improvement
- instructing on a wide range of writing principles, strategies and rules
- providing peer tutor training
English teachers may assign ninth and tenth graders (or students at any grade level new to Penn Charter) to a weekly appointment in the Writing Center for skill development; however, the majority of our clients choose to sign up for a conference using our online calendar. While we cannot guarantee that students will be helped without an appointment, walk-ins are always welcome during the school day.
Sara Moses (215-844-3460 ext. 210) is the coordinator of the Writing Center.