Explore your passion.
In the 2017-2018 academic year, Penn Charter’s Upper School started a Certificate Program for students in 11th and 12 grade. The purpose of certificates is to engage students who are looking to integrate different aspects of the Upper School program around a particular focus and passion in their junior and senior years.
Through pursuit of a certificate, students will integrate coursework, projects, activities and a Senior Comprehensive Project (SCP) around a particular theme. For more specifics on requirements, see the Upper School Certificate Handbook.
- Seeking Truth: Students investigate and uncover different perspectives, and reflect upon challenges and conflicts.
- Building Empathy: By listening, being vulnerable and connecting with others, students build empathy and understanding.
- Letting Your Life Speak: Students explore ways to lead, communicate and act on issues of justice and the common good.
There are four main components to all certificate work:
- Course credits (a selected number of courses will be noted in each certificate)
- Three major projects (examples are given for each certificate below)
- 80 activity hours across junior and senior years.
- SCP (Senior Comprehensive Project) that is centered around the certificate theme