There is a performer in everyone.
Our mission is to create opportunities that provide students with a positive experience across an array of performance disciplines. Students in every division should have a meaningful experience that prepares them for a future of participation in the performing arts.
Our instructional goals include building a foundation of skills that supports understanding and appreciation for the Performing Arts.
Music: Instrumental and Choral
- Promoting music literacy
- Developing technical skills
- Helping students see value in artistry
- Providing a variety of performance opportunities and venues, including plays, musicals, concerts and jazz festivals
Theater and Filmmaking
- Exploring improvisation and acting styles
- Writing scripts and screenplays
- Understanding the history and philosophy of both documentary and narrative film
- Using technical elements such as lights, sound, scenery and costumes to support live performance
Ensembles. Performing artists at PC can participate in an array of ensembles like Jazz Band, String Ensemble and Boys and Girls A Cappella.
Showcase. Several times per semester, this intimate, student-run performance venue provides opportunities for students to share their creative work with peers.
Theater and filmmaking electives. Upper School students can hone their acting, directing, writing and producing skills with through our catalog of theater and filmmaking electives.
Physics of Sound. This interdisciplinary Upper School elective allows students to explore the science behind sound-making and create their own musical instruments in the IdeaLab.
Students are required to take at least one semester of Performing Arts. Only courses labeled as “Advanced” and AP have prerequisites. All other classes are open to all students and do not require any previous skill or experience.