Preview PC's Lower School
Considering Penn Charter for your child? Dive in below to read about the learning experience in Lower School, about PC's history and community, and about Quaker education. We welcome you to explore our school.
A program of cognitive and character development rooted in rich knowledge of how young children learn best.
We know that children learn best when ideas are connected. We know that children learn by doing and by working together. So, our curriculum emphasizes interdisciplinary, collaborative, hands-on learning. Our students ask questions, think critically, write effectively, listen carefully and put all those pieces together.
Students in Lower School, pre-K through fifth grade.
William Penn founded his school in 1689 to educate citizens for the new world.
Average class size in Lower School.
1:1 laptop program in grades 3-5, supported by a full-time LS technology coordinator.
More Lower School Fast Facts
- LS Student:Teacher Ratio: 7:1
- 39% identify as students of color
- 43% students receive financial aid
- Geographic diversity: LS students hail from 47 ZIP codes across 4 counties and 86% are Philadelphia residents.
- School day hours: 8:10 a.m. to 2:50 a.m.
- Early- and After-Care Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 8:10 a.m., no charge; 2:50 p.m. to 5:50p.m., fee-based
- Age requirements: by Sept. 1, child must be age 4 for pre-K, age 5 for kindergarten, and age 6 for first grade in the year of entry.
- Classes offered beyond reading, writing and math: 7 subjects—science, Spanish, music, art, library, technology, physical education—taught by Lower School specialists in Lower School classrooms.
- Transportation: There are many ways to arrive at Penn Charter, including school bus, private bus or shuttle, public bus, train, and car.
- Pre-kindergarten is housed in a church adjacent to campus in a completely renovated, light-filled space with two classrooms, a studio space, a large playroom and outdoor play area. All within steps of the campus.
- Kindergarten through fifth grades are in one building, with neighboring playgrounds and fields. PC will build a new Lower School soon.
Life at Penn Charter
Fifth Grade shares how Lower School has impacted them.
In their own words, students share why they love the traditions.
PC students reflect and share their favorites.
Student clubs and activities let you find your niche at PC.
Students lead you across our 47-acre campus in this video tour.