Diversity and Inclusion
A school community that honors difference, Penn Charter seeks to be a place where diversity is understood, represented and valued. Statement of Philosophy
A Multifaceted Understanding of Diversity
Penn Charter seeks to build a community representing diversity in race, religion, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, gender, sexual orientation — as well as learning style, opinion and hometown.
When you walk through Penn Charter's red doors, there is a reason our formal-looking school suddently feels down to earth: the people. Penn Charter was founded not for some people, but for all people. That is as true today as it was in 1689. Penn Charter was one of the first school's to open to children of all religions and races, among the first to educate girls and to offer financial aid.
The "Big 8"
The "Big 8" Core Social Identifiers as defined by the National Association of Independent Schools:
- Age: the amount of time during which a person has lived
- Ability: the quality or state of being physically or mentally able, competence in doing
- Ethnicity: affiliation with a group that shares a national, cultural and/or linguistic heritage
- Gender: the state of being male/masculine or female/feminine
- Race: a category of people that share distinctive physical traits, a group that is socially defined
- Religion: an institutionalized or personal belief system and practices relating to a God or Gods
- Sexual Orientation: sexual attraction toward people of the same, opposite or both sexes
- Socioeconomic Status: social standing based on income or position in society
Office of Diversity and Inclusion
Antonio Williams, Director of Diversity and Inclusion
Naveena Bembry, Lower School Diversity Coordinator, Fifth Grade Teacher
Jessica Stusnick, Lower School Diversity Coordinator, First Grade teacher
Bryan Skelly, Middle School Diversity Coordinator, English and Social Studies Teacher
La Sripanawongsa, Middle School Diversity Coordinator, Mandarin Chinese Teacher
Ruth McGee, Upper School Diversity Coordinator, Visual Arts and Design Teacher