Weekend Activity for Crew, Girls Basketball
Hannah Fox scored 1,813 points in her career as a Penn Charter basketball star.
You now have permission to change that number to 1,822 . . . as long as you include an asterisk.
Fox, who also played soccer in the fall and now is starring in lacrosse, scored nine points on Sunday as City fell to Suburbs, 42-38, in the All-Star Labor Classic, at New Foundations Charter. That output paced her team. Aaron Carter OPC '98 was there for covering for the Inquirer and shared the photo.
Ayanna Matthews, another senior, was also chosen for the squad, but opted not to participate.
Elsewhere, on the Schuylkill River, the crew team competed in the fourth regatta of the 2016 Manny Flick/Horvat series.
In the boys varsity double, seniors Gordon Robertson and Cesar Centeno claimed first in their heat with a time of 5:36.91. Another impressive performance was turned in by junior Stephen Flemming, who placed second in the JV single at 5:42.37.
For the girls, junior Kelsey White and senior Sally Stanley earned the No. 2 spot in the top heat of the varsity double. Their time of 6:19.43 trailed Conestoga by only 1 1/2 seconds and next week they'll be looking to turn the table. A third-place finish in the lightweight double's top heat was earned by junior Sharon Zea-Rincon and soph Anna Pogrebivsky (6:40.61).
Some other nuggets:
- Boys novice quad: Nicholas Djerassi, Cole Frieman, Ryan Milkman and Reid Kleinman, fifth in heat, 6:13.95. This was the group's debut.
- Boys JV quad: junior Tristan Laurencio, soph Matthew Kestenbaum, junior David Groshens and soph Mitch Sibson, fourth in top heat, 5:29.10.
- Girls novice quad: ninth grader Sydney Nixon, soph Isabella Hondros, ninth graders Zoe Tierno and Lucy Alter, third in top heat, 4:07.36. This was also this group's debut.
- Girls JV quad: juniors Maddie Whitehead and Julie Webb, soph Maria Perry, junior Emma Grugan, fifth in top heat, 6:30.61.
- Girls varsity single: senior Jean Gleason, fourth in 7:36.00.
"Today's performance was a good measure of the work we did during spring break," coach Katherine Farrell said. "Every crew accomplished at least one of its goals. And we're looking to make progress in the week to come."
Choose groups to clone to: